Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Basic Korean Concepts of Common Courtesy


I have studied in Korea for more than 2 years. I think almost all Korean are pretty polit. There are some basic Korean concepts of common courtesies that I know.

1. Help and show respect to the elderly.

2. Show respect for superiors.

3. Avoid confrontation or embarrassment for yourself and others.

4. Refuse a gift upon the first offering, do not be overzealous

or overeager.

5. Respect a person's privacy.

6. Use polite forms of language when making a request.

7. Show appreciation for others.

8. Give a gift before a request.

9. Show generosity.

10. Pay for a meal if you have suggested it.

Am I right? Korean friends. Do you have some more common courtesies that I don't know?


4 comments:

  1. Those seem generally right to me. Of course, there are many Koreans who don't follow these values. and people say the younger generations are changing, but I still think most Koreans try to follow these ideas.

    I wonder how I should act some times in order to fit in with the culture, especially for #1 and #2 on your list. I try to follow those values, but I'm not sure I do well all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor Miles, you know, when young people meet elder or people meet their superiors, they have to make a bow. Furthermore, when people drink together, the younger people must ture their body to another side to drink, they can't drink with elder face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I'm not sure all of Korean do those of you wrote. People are changing little- Actually, I don't know that professor asked us. The culture is so difficlut to me also. Hu,,,-A Ryeon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah,you are right, when we first come to a country,the coustom is the best importan,In korea there are some same coustom with our country,but also there are many different coustom.

    ReplyDelete