Monday, November 22, 2010

A important festival in Korea- Chusok


There is also a mid-autumn festival in China, but it is called Chusok in Korea. And Korean Chusok is some different from China.

Chucok in Korea set on 15th of the eight lunar moon, it's the same time with Chinese mid-autumn festival, and Chusok is one of the most celebrant Korean hoilday. It occurs during the harvest season. Thus, Korean families take this time to thank ancestors for providing them wirh rice and fruits.

The celebrant starts on the night before Chusok and ends on the day after the hoilday. Thus, many Korean families take three days off from work to get together with family and friends.

The celebrantion starts with a family get-together at which rice cakes called"Songphyun" are served. These special rice cakes are made of rice, beans, sesame seeds and chestnuts. Then the family pays respect to ancestors by visiting their tombs and offering them rice and fruits. The Korean visit the graves of their ancestors to bow and clean the area for the coming winter. In the evening, children wear their favorite hanbok and dance under the bright moon in a large circle. They play games and sing songs.

This is all the Chusok that I know in Korea. When we had the holidays of Chusok, we couldn't go back China, but we Chinese students also celebranted our own mid-autumn festival.

8 comments:

  1. Yap^*^ chuseok is our most important holiday. Above all, if I have a chance, I want to invite you to my home on chuseok. Koreans like to wear hanbok (traditional Korean clothes) on Chuseok (Korean Thanks giving day). Many foreigners wearing hanbok in Korea can experience Korea’s traditional style and grace during chuseok holiday. Also, have you eaten Songphyun? Songphyun is the special food that Koreans eat on chuseok. Trying to make Songphyun with family will give them special memories. I also really want to experience a mid-autumn festival in china. I don’t know how different between Korea- chuseok and china-a mid-autumn festival. ( could you invite me ..? hahaha ^^ ) When I was a younger, Chuseok used to the happiest time of the year for me, when I got to see all my aunts and cousins. Anyway, I wish everyone’s happiness and good health during the chuseok holidays♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woa.. I wonder how do Chinese students spend time during Chuseok in Korea. What do you guys do? By the way, it seems like you wanted to talk about traditional Chuseok activities in Korea right? Cause you said we wore hanbok and danced in a large circle lol
    Have you ever watched people dancing in a circle in Korea? Unfortunately,I haven't watched any yet...anyway that's called 'Gang gang sool lae' in Korean :) -Jiwon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Thanksgiving day is our most important holiday in Republic Korea.
    By the way, it is called "Chuseok" in Korean.
    when holiday was starts, All of my relatives gather in one place.
    Also, making Songpyun with family makes Thanksgiving even more fun.
    But China has a big hoilday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh~~your essay make me remember some thing .This is the second Mid-autumn Festival in Korea,The first Mid-autumn Festival ,i didn't know something for this day in Korea,i considered on that day just the same with China ,i considered the day should be make the street was bustling,so i shouldn't perpared anything for this day ,i wanted to make some pleasant surprise for this day .But the day gaven me some sad thing ,i didn't do anything for this day ,because in Korea this day all of the people should have rest ,so no one in shop ,most of the shop was closed .i can buy anything,i'm very sad.But this Mid-autumn Festival i have rich experience ,so i shift to an earlier to buy some food ,some fruit and so on for the Mid-Autumn Festival ,my friend and i cook some food and make some pleasant surprise for each other ,and make party on that day ............

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious how you spent the days? I want to be join with you^^ I think, it could be special memory to you~ I've experienced spending Chu-suk without family, when I was in the philippines. But the day is in my memory because it was special to me. I hope that you feel it like me-A Ryeon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chusok is a very big festival in korea,also in China,I don't know the detail about Chusok in korea, but I think it's same to China,I think the festival is very important to us,eventhoug we are so busy ,but we can gettogeter with our family at that day,it's a happy time,right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Big Festival in Korea, but many traditional things changed.. well…the meaning of Chusok was to thank for ancestors or nature over flower harvest and make variety food and sharing. However, some people seem not following the tradition anymore ( Yes.. most of people keep our tradition) as they have long period dates of holiday, they struggle to find out some good places to visit during the period so, we can see packed people at the airport!! ;;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mid Autumn Festival in Korea is a special time to reflect on the past year and to look forward to the future.

    ReplyDelete